Essential oils are great for treating minor issues such as neck and head tension, both because they help at the source of the problem instead of masking discomfort, and because they have none of the side effects common to over the counter medications. Some studies even show that essential oils can reduce stress and boost your immune system. Here’s some suggestions of what to use next time you get neck and head tension.
Peppermint oil is beneficial for neck and head tension because it can:
- have a cooling effect on the skin
- inhibit muscle contractions
- stimulate blood flow when applied topically
To use peppermint oil for neck and head tension:
- Apply oil topically across the forehead and on the temples
- Dilute two to three drops of peppermint oil with coconut oil and rub into shoulders, forehead and back of neck.
Lavender oil is beneficial for neck and head tension because:
- It induces relaxation and relieves tension and stress
- It works as a sedative and calming agent
- It relieves feelings of restlessness during sleep, which may cause neck and head tension
- It regulates serotonin levels
To use lavender for neck and head tension:
- diffuse five drops of lavender oil
- apply lavender oil topically to the back of neck, temples and wrists
- add five to ten drops of lavender oil to a warm-water bath
Eucalyptus is beneficial for neck and head tension because:
- It works as an expectorant
- It also opens the nasal airways and relieves sinus pressure
To use eucalyptus for neck and head tension:
- Dilute two to four drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil, and apply it topically to the chest, back of the neck, temples and forehead.
Rosemary essential oil is beneficial for neck and head tension because:
- It has stimulating, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties
- It has a calming effect
- It can reduce stress
- It aids digestion and soothes an upset stomach
To use rosemary for neck and head tension:
- Take one drop of rosemary oil internally by adding it to any liquid
- Topically mix two drops rosemary with two drops peppermint and one teaspoon coconut oil, and rub it into the temples, forehead and back of neck.
Past Tense essential oil blend from doTERRA contains Wintergreen Leaf, Lavender Flower, Peppermint Plant, Frankincense Resin, Cilantro Herb, Marjoram Leaf, Roman Chamomile Flower, Basil Leaf, and Rosemary Leaf essential oils. It is beneficial for neck and head tension because:
- Helps provide grounding and balanced emotions
- Helps ease stressful feelings
- Packaged for convenient application in a roll-on bottle
To use Past Tense for neck and head tension:
- Massage into shoulders, neck, and back for a cooling, soothing sensation.
- Add to temples and back of neck before taking a test or presenting in public.
- Apply to the wrists while traveling to help calm emotions.
Important notes about using essential oils:
- If applying to a sensitive area (like the forehead), dilute with fractionated coconut oil or do a skin test in a less sensitive area first
- If you use an oil internally, try using 1-2 drops first- with essential oils, a little goes a long way.
Do you have questions or comments about this blog? Would you like to find out more about purchasing essential oils for yourself? Visit my doTERRA page or complete the form on the right side of this page and I’d be happy to help you! You can also subscribe to our blog on the right side of the page.
*These claims have not be evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you have serious health concerns, consult a doctor- and bring your oils with you! You never know which doctors will be willing to help you take a more natural approach to health care!